Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

PIC16F877 and Wifi Module

Status
Not open for further replies.

gamerx

Newbie level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi, I'm trying to build an embedded web server here using the PIC16F877. I hope to attach a wifi module to the PIC so that it may connect to the internet through a wireless router. I've checked out the Microchip MRF24WB0MA module online and it states that it supports the PIC18, 24 and 32 series but the PIC16 is not mentioned.

What I'm wondering is whether this is still useable on the PIC16 and if not, does anyone know of a suitable wifi module for this microcontroller?

Thanks.

Hi, I'm trying to build an embedded web server here using the PIC16F877. I hope to attach a wifi module to the PIC so that it may connect to the internet through a wireless router. I've checked out the Microchip MRF24WB0MA module online and it states that it supports the PIC18, 24 and 32 series but the PIC16 is not mentioned.

The MRF24WB0MA has a SPI interface and requires a supporting TCP/IP API library which has not been ported to the PIC16 family.

What I'm wondering is whether this is still useable on the PIC16 and if not, does anyone know of a suitable wifi module for this microcontroller?

As I mentioned above the Microchip's TCP/IP API library has not been ported to the PIC16, the memory storage requirements to implement a TCP/IP stack using a PIC16's resources would be another hurdle.

Your best bet would be to use a self contained WiFi Module with an embedded TCP/IP stack like the following:

GainSpan Module

WiFly GSX 802.11b/g Serial Module - Roving Networks "]WiFly GSX 802.11b/g Serial Module - Roving Networks

**broken link removed**

Hope the info helps in your endeavors,

BigDog

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: gamerx and FvM

FvM

Helpful Answer Positive Rating

gamerx

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
That was exactly what I needed, thanks!:-D

Status
Not open for further replies.