Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

phase shift of an inductor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Supaswing

Junior Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi everybody,
A question quite simple :
When I model an inductor with MWS, I get a phase angle of about 180 or -180, somethimes 0 deg.
I always thought that an inductor induces a lag of 90deg. ( little less for real inductor with R and C) why isnt it the case in the simulation ?
David

small edit :
By shifting the phase of S11 by 90degree (i.e to get a pi/2 phase at low frequency) I get the input impedance very close from measurment, is there a meaning??

How you measure S11?

What is the phase shift you are talking about?

I calculated the S-parameters in MicrowaveStudio, not measured them.
In FDTD, you take the FFT of the time domain responses and divide them, so S11= FFT(reflected output o11) ./ FFT(input i1).
I put two plot, one from taken from Murata for a similar inductor
the other from my calc.
If you can have a look...
Regards,
David.

Your network looks like:
src(R)--(Port1)---L---(Port 2)--probe(R)

S11=(jwl+R-R) / (jwl+R+R)=jwl/(jwl+2R)
when w (frequncy) is low, the phase shift is about 90 dgree. It is approaching zero, when jwl gets large.

When self-resonant happens, it is very close to zero. I hope it helps.

Thank you for the equation, I totally agree with you and that why I do not understand the behaviour of the simulations...
For the S parameter to be wrong there must be an error in the time domain propagation, but I cannot see which one, I tested mesh, ports, boundaries, material, etc..
I suspect the excitation, the frequency range, or solver parameter (courant number, etc..)
BTW, is there a clear limit wether FDTD doesn't work? for example to low propagation constant.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back