Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

PDN analysis data interpretation

Status
Not open for further replies.

ku637

Advanced Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi ,

I would like to know how to exactly interpret a PDN decoupling analysis report graph.

Suppose i have a Digital IC , its recommended operating voltage is 3V Min, 3.3V Typ, 3.6V Max

3.3-3=0.3V drop only it can tolerate and say the max Idd current is 0.5A , I have seen literature taking a transient current of Idd/2=0.25A and calculating the target impedance

i.e 0.3V/0.25A =1.2Ohms

So if we do a PDN analysis we may get a impedance versus frequency at the Digital ICs power pin. The impedance profile may be <1.2Ohms for say frequency range 100kHz to say 10MHz, above and below that bandwidth impedance is higher.

So how you will decide this lower impedance in this band is sufficient for my application

Do we need to just check the how fast the IC can switch or any IO rise time specs , or any other data-any suggestions will be helpful.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back