Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

pdiusbd12 firmware question

Status
Not open for further replies.

PyrO

Newbie level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
pdiusbd12 firmware

i'm using a pdiusbd12 in my project and i'm hearing alot about developing firmware for it. i'm a little confused about it cause i have a few unanswered questions about it.
i would appreciate it if anybody can answer them .

1.does the original ic has any firmware on it?
2.i'm going to use this ic in an interface for a data aquisition card .do i need to use a new firmware?
3.how can i download a new firmware to my ic?

pdiusb12 fireware

The IC is just a usb hardware interface, you will have to write the firmware. If you plan to use windows drivers you will have to write descriptors so windows loads the correct driver. Then your data aquisition software will have to interface to the windows driver.
A simpler solution is to use an FTDI 245 chip. They provide free download of tools and drivers to make usb easier to use.

firmware for pdiusbd12

btbass said:
The IC is just a usb hardware interface, you will have to write the firmware. If you plan to use windows drivers you will have to write descriptors so windows loads the correct driver. Then your data aquisition software will have to interface to the windows driver.
A simpler solution is to use an FTDI 245 chip. They provide free download of tools and drivers to make usb easier to use.

thank you for your answer btbass .for some reasons i must use pdiusbd12 in the project and from what you mentioned there is no firmware in the original ic.
is there any generic firmware available that i can use? and also i still don't know how the firmware is transfered to the pdiusbd12.

thanks

pdiusbd12 fireware

There is no firmware in the ic. It is just a usb hardware interface that handles the hardware protocol. The firmware resides in the Micro you use. When you plug in your usb device, it goes through the process of enumeration whereby the host pc requests device descriptors, you describe your device in these descriptors and windows loads the appropriate driver. Visit 'Beyondlogic.org' for good information on this and sample code in c. Also look at Phillips for sample applications.

PyrO

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back