Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

PCI handler R/W correct operations

Status
Not open for further replies.

tzushky

Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello everyone,

My question should be simple in formulation but I have not been able to find a right answer so far so I'm bothering you people:).

I am developing an application for debugging a wireless embedded equipment. You just need to know that it is interfaced by PCI with the computer, the driver for the PCI was created by others of my team but they have left for some time now. And I am using C to simply open a handler to the device, read and write packets to it.:

EMB <---(PCI) ----> C appli (on PC1) <- --(TCP/IP)----> Something else (on PC2)

<------Thread Listen PCI EMB & Thread Listen TCP/IP Other------->

Even more, the C application contains two threads (the packets I write come from another application, each thread waits for a packets on one interface and suspends the other for some time while treating the request) and I actually open 2 handlers for the PCI device because I noticed that if I suspend the thread while it's trying to read the device, the other thread won't be able to write on it...

Anyway, the problem with PCI is Windows Blue Screens. I have the impression that If it is not correctly read, and bits of info are left after closing the application, it corrupts something in SYS32...but nobody here knows details. All we know is it either freezes the PC sometimes, it causes reboot , etc.

So, the question is: Is there a way to know if PCI has corrupted something in the OS, do simple reads flush it completely and avoid freezes and blue screens?

Has any of you encountered this situation before (I suppose yes...)?

Thank you very much in advance and good luck in your work ,

T

Analyze the crash using windbg. That will give you idea wher your program is failing. You can also use PCI bus analyzer to see transactions on the PCI bus.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back