Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

PCI-Express, where to get started?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cosmicboy

Junior Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,

I am trying to get my head around using PCI-Express to transfer data from the FPGA to the host machine but it seems like there are a million and one ways of doing this :cry:

The FPGA in question is a Virtex-5 (on an ML505 development board) and it has a 1x PCI-E interface. Xilinx does provide some application notes about this subject but they seem quite complicated.

So, my questions are:

- Where to get started? :D
- What would be the simplest way to transfer data from the Microblaze instance running in the FPGA to the host? Can I do this without DMA?
- I am planning on using Linux on the host system, so are there any reference driver implementations for this kind of work? (I found quite a lot of information about PCI but not PCI-E)

Many thanks for comments/suggestions.

Cheers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back