Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

PCI Express over Optical fiber

Status
Not open for further replies.

eozalp

Newbie level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello forum,

I want to connect an FPGA board to the PC with an external PCI Express solution.
We did this before with MOLEX PCI Express expander connectors and cables using a PERICOM PCI Express re-timer.
Now we want to go longer distances and decided to use optical fiber with an SFP connector.
Connection is one lane, 5Gb/sec.

My questions are:

1 - The Adapter board in the PC is not capable of routing clock to the FPGA board.
We will generate the clock on the FPGA board with a precision clock. Is this OK?

2- The traces between PCI express connector and SFP is short.
Do we still need a PCI Express repeater with Equalization and De-Emphasis like DS80PCI102.

Regards,

Standard PC PCI implementationa are using a common reference clock architecture. This allows for SSC (spread spectrum clocking) without jitter issues. Presuming that the PC side is using SSC, your need to implement a data clocked architecture with good jitter tolerance. But I don't know if the PC side interface is prepared for it at all.

I don't see a need for a PCI express repeater, just proper level conversion.

Thank you very much. It helped a lot.

PCI Express (Peripheral Component Interconnect Express), officially abbreviated as PCIe, is a high-speed serial computer expansion bus standard designed to replace the older PCI, PCI-X, and AGP bus standards. PCIe has numerous improvements over the aforementioned bus standards, including higher maximum system bus throughput, lower I/O pin count and smaller physical footprint, better performance-scaling for bus devices, a more detailed error detection and reporting mechanism (Advanced Error Reporting (AER) [1]), and native hot-plug functionality. More recent revisions of the PCIe standard support hardware I/O virtualization.

By Optoroute

A PCIe card fits into a slot of its physical size or larger (maximum ×16), but may not fit into a smaller PCIe slot (e.g.,a ×16 card in a ×8 slot). Some slots use open-ended sockets to permit phycally longer cards and negotiate the best available electrical connection. The number of lanes actually connected to a slot may also be less than the number supported by the physical slot size.
An example is a ×16 slot that runs at ×4. This slot will accept any ×1, ×2, ×4, ×8, or ×16 card, but provides only ×4 speed. Its specification may read: ×16 (×4 mode); "×size @ ×speed" notation (×16 @ ×4) is also common. The advantage is that such slot can accommodate a larger range of PCIe cards without requiring motherboard hardware to support the full transfer rate.

By Optoroute, quote from Optoroute blog.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back