Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

PCB unconnected tracks

Status
Not open for further replies.

techgreed

Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I am having a mainboard with a controller which works on 100Mhz. I have another board with an SRAM and this board will be connected on to the mainboard through a connector. The lines between these boards are A0-A15 , D0-D7 and a few other control lines. Now the board with SRAM will be connected to the main board only sometime.
I know that unconnected tracks on a pcb acts as antennas for noises. So in my case, when the SRAM board is not connected , the databus and address bus lines lefts floating in the main board connected between the controller and the connector. So which is the best way to terminate it?
Iam a newbie in highspeed designs. Plz comment your suggestions

Is pullup or pulldowns enough? Do i have to add buffers to disable the lines when not used?

Pull-up or Pull-down resistor networks should be permanently attached to your address and data bus, as well as to the control bus.
Some bus standards use/need it, others don't. I won't be able to suggest anything without knowing details.

It's also not said if the bus is connected to other devices except for the memory card.

I imagine that signal reflections might be the dominant problem instead of "noise", with or without the memory card connected. There are different ways to handle (respectively ignore) the effect, ranging from fullyterminated PCI to simple unterminated bus.

Is pullup or pulldowns enough? Do i have to add buffers to disable the lines when not used?
Buffers aren't a bad idea, but need decoders for the address range of the external device.

The bus is connected only to the memory card. The bus in our case doesnt need pullups or pulldowns for normal operation.

I imagine that signal reflections might be the dominant problem instead of "noise", with or without the memory card connected. There are different ways to handle (respectively ignore) the effect, ranging from fullyterminated PCI to simple unterminated bus.
Could you please suggest some references to read about this?

Status
Not open for further replies.