Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Passband sampling or DDC?

Status
Not open for further replies.

agump

Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
passband sampling

Hi,
I am engaged in a project which need to process digital IF signal. The passband sampling theory shows that when we sample a signal based on the theory, we can get the signal in the base band. But when I read some references , they show me that the digtal down converter prevail against the passband sampling. I am confused about how to select which one to carry out my task . Why not use the passband sampling to convert the signal to baseband , since passband sampling need much less resource and efforts .Please give me some help. Thanks.
Best regards.

sampling passband signals

Thanks for your reply. I have read this article and can't understand why the aperture jitter make the bandpass sampling unusable , since the aperture jitter is determined mainly by the ADC and the sampling clock. If using the bandpass sampling , a low-speed clock can be used. In my option , I think this can reduce aperture jitter.

bandpass sampling jitter

But jitter noise figure is propotional to analog Fif. So jitter limits direct sampling for high Fif. Another help from DDC is processing gain - we can use relatively low-bit-number ADC

ddc processing gain

What do you mean about "jitter noise figure is propotional to analog Fif", I think bandpass sampling and DDC both process the same Fif and just select different sampling frequency. I am not family about the processing gain and I am about to read some reference about it. Thanks.

sampling passband

You are right, this has no direct respects to your question. This issue is from other side - Why do we use analog mixer, while simple undersampling works like mixer as well? When sampling transforms Fif to DC as an alias. So simpliest receiver is - ADC alone, without mixers and DDC. But jitter and noise...

Processing gain is the property of DDC - we spread ADC quantization noise around wide spectrum range (using high-speed ADC) and then supress this noise by filtering.

Status
Not open for further replies.