Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Partition issues - sectors.

Status
Not open for further replies.

gazownik

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi all,

I'll do my best to be as concise as possible:

I have a 250GB HDD, with an OS installed on it (XP Embedded). Here's how the situation looks like:

situation.png

First partition is used by some Korean disk cloning software (or an image of the system) - Clonix. Second one is assigned to Win XPE OS, the other two are irrelevant. I wanted to make a live CD out of them, using Clonezilla Live. It made perfectly good copies of all but one partition - the Clonix one - in short, it was unable to make an image of it due to sectors error - the number of sectors declared for this partition exceeded the actual number of occupied sectors. The Clonix partition (formatted in NTFS) is invisible under any OS, no letter assigned - presumably due to this sector number inconsistency, same goes for the file structure - unreadable. I am unable to repartition the disk using Gparted for example, due to the stated sector error - the software simply refuses to repartition and crop it to the actual size - but the partition itself is perfectly visible. The HDD is brand new (the system in question was restored using the Clonix LiveCD), the WinXPE works perfectly too.

My impression is that someone wanted to protect the HDD from cloning using this simple method. The company that manufactured this system is long dead, not much info lying around.

I guess that if I could somehow adjust the number of sectors (i.e. correct it) without destroying the data on the first partition I would be then able to make a live Clonezilla CD out of it.

Any ideas how to get the sector number back to its correct value? Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

Status
Not open for further replies.