Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Overdrive voltage of MOS transistor

Status
Not open for further replies.

viperpaki007

Full Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi I am confused about how to control overdrive voltage of MOS. I read that overdrive voltage can be made smaller by increasing W/L ratio of MOS. Why is like that? I think that as overdrive voltage definition is Vgs-Vth, therefore, overdrive voltage should only be controlled by increasing or decreasing Vgs. Moreover, sometimes i have seen in simulations that shown overdrive voltage is different than actual values of Vgs-Vth voltages. From this i get a confusion that does overdrive voltage and Vgs-Vth are same thing?

Increasing the W/L ratio reduces the ON resistance so a lower overdrive voltage (Vgs-Vth) can be used to obtain a given ON resistance. There is no particular fixed value for the overdrive voltage but beyond a certain value, the ON resistance no longer is significantly reduced.

Hi crutschow, Thanks for the comments. My question is that is it possible to have a have a different overdrive voltage (chosen by W/L ratio) than Vgs-Vth voltage?

Vgs-Vth voltage can be controlled by applying a different Vgs voltage while overdrive voltage can be controlled by W/L ratio.

Status
Not open for further replies.