Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

current and voltage of TEMD5020X01 respons

abbaszandilak

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
hi there. As you know TEMD5020x01 is a photodiod and when the sensor goes under an IR exposure it will make a response but it is so important for me to know the amount of the response to find out is possible to couple the sensor with Arduino or select another approach is the solution. thank you all. datasheet of TEMD5020X01:https://www.vishay.com/docs/84685/temd5020.pdf

Attachments

• temd5020.pdf
    133.5 KB · Views: 49
Last edited:
hi there. As you know TEMD5020x01 is a photodiod and when the sensor goes under an IR exposure it will make a response but it is so important for me to know the amount of the response to find out is possible to couple the sensor with Arduino or select another approach is the solution. thank you all. datasheet of TEMD5020X01:https://www.vishay.com/docs/84685/temd5020.pdf
To interface the TEMD5020x01 with an Arduino, you can connect the photodiode to an analog input pin on the Arduino. Use appropriate resistors to create a voltage divider if necessary, and consider using capacitors for filtering. The Arduino can then read the analog voltage .

To interface the TEMD5020x01 with an Arduino, you can connect the photodiode to an analog input pin on the Arduino. Use appropriate resistors to create a voltage divider if necessary, and consider using capacitors for filtering. The Arduino can then read the analog voltage .
thanks for your reply and your time but my main problem is that I don't have any definition of the amount of responses to select the appropriate resistance and capacitor and how i should know this.

Are you sure this belongs to the "Show your DIY" section?

Moved to better suited Analog Circuit Design forum.

Although tepalia02 is right that a photodiode can be directly interfaced to uC (e.g. Arduino), the solution might not meet your requirements. Unfortunately you didn't tell anything about the application. It can't be concluded from datasheet, we need to to know which optical signal you are trying to receive.

Have you learned what a TIA is yet? It is a low noise OA inverting input to amplify PD current into a voltage V=I*R.

Same with visible light sensors (optical filtered to match human eye) https://www.3w-ic-za.com/productdatasheets/c9/temd6010fx01.pdf

Or you Vishay can make you a chip that already does this already so you use a LDO and get voltage out then into an Arduino with almost 3 decades of range (50 dB), then you can change resistors with an analog switch to match your ADC range.

Your 1st step is write design specs to fill a page for all important assumption on environment, inputs, and output. {Electrical, Mechanical, Optical, Climatic) with the purpose, intended application.

Imagine a great product, search for it, or do it yourself.

Moved to better suited Analog Circuit Design forum.

Although tepalia02 is right that a photodiode can be directly interfaced to uC (e.g. Arduino), the solution might not meet your requirements. Unfortunately you didn't tell anything about the application. It can't be concluded from datasheet, we need to to know which optical signal you are trying to receive.
thanks for your attention. I want to make a high-speed optical tachometer This sensor TEMD5020x01 is going to couple with a 5mw laser and when the compressor blade is crossed the sensor visor it will reflect the laser ir beam and give me a response to measure the RPM. know I want to make up the electronic circuit but I don't know how much is the sensor response amount to select a good resistor to connect it to Arduino.this is my main problem

Have you learned what a TIA is yet? It is a low noise OA inverting input to amplify PD current into a voltage V=I*R.

Same with visible light sensors (optical filtered to match human eye) https://www.3w-ic-za.com/productdatasheets/c9/temd6010fx01.pdf

Or you Vishay can make you a chip that already does this already so you use a LDO and get voltage out then into an Arduino with almost 3 decades of range (50 dB), then you can change resistors with an analog switch to match your ADC range.

Your 1st step is write design specs to fill a page for all important assumption on environment, inputs, and output. {Electrical, Mechanical, Optical, Climatic) with the purpose, intended application.

Imagine a great product, search for it, or do it yourself.
thanks for your attention. I want to make a high-speed optical tachometer This sensor TEMD5020x01 is going to couple with a 5mw laser and when the compressor blade is crossed the sensor visor it will reflect the laser ir beam and give me a response to measure the RPM. know I want to make up the electronic circuit but I don't know how much is the sensor response amount to select a good resistor to connect it to Arduino.this is my main problem

Just guessing but a targeted 5mW laser diode would completely saturate a photodiode and possibly damage it. An infra-red LED and an optical IR pass filter may be more appropriate. Use a TIA, with a high value series resistor you probably wont get a fast enough response.

Question: if you only need to know the compressor speed, why use an analog method at all. Digital would be far easier, all you have to do is set up a timer and count how many pulses from the sensor there are within the timer period. It is a simple calculation from there on to convert to RPM or whatever units you need.

Brian.

I don't think that an analog method is intended, just RPM counting. As for photodiode irradiation, it really depends on the beam path. "Reflect laser beam" can mean anything between collimated beam concentrated on the diode to small amount of divergent beam diffusely reflected, several orders of magnitude in-between.

Just guessing but a targeted 5mW laser diode would completely saturate a photodiode and possibly damage it. An infra-red LED and an optical IR pass filter may be more appropriate. Use a TIA, with a high value series resistor you probably wont get a fast enough response.

Question: if you only need to know the compressor speed, why use an analog method at all. Digital would be far easier, all you have to do is set up a timer and count how many pulses from the sensor there are within the timer period. It is a simple calculation from there on to convert to RPM or whatever units you need.

Brian.
Your kindness is greatly appreciated. My main goal is to measure the RPM and my mindset is to connect the photodiode to Arduino and count the pulses in a period but I thought I should use a resistor in the circuit to prevent the damage to Arduino.is it possible to give me some hints?is it necessary to use a resistor? Is Arduino able to detect the photodiode pulse? thank you, sir.
--- Updated ---

I don't think that an analog method is intended, just RPM counting. As for photodiode irradiation, it really depends on the beam path. "Reflect laser beam" can mean anything between collimated beam concentrated on the diode to small amount of divergent beam diffusely reflected, several orders of magnitude in-between.
thank you for your attention. the sensor detecting angle is 65 degrees and I think it can detect the reflection.my main problem is how to connect the photodiode to Arduino.Is this a specific approach or i should simply connect it to Arduino like other 2pin photodiods? thank you

I think your misunderstanding is how the photodiode output should connect to the Arduino. What you want is an abrupt change in output as the light beam passes or is interrupted. Firstly, don't think of it as an analog voltage to measure, using the ADC and measuring absolute voltage will lead to problems, especially at high speeds because the ADC itself is quite a slow device. Think of the output as being digital, you not interested in how much voltage is coming from the sensor, you only need to know whether light is hitting it or not. By thinking of it as a digital signal, the Arduino will respond many times faster and your software will be much simpler.

The are photodiodes with built in circuits that produce digital outputs but you can use the TEMD5020 if you add your own. I would suggest using a TIA or a comparator, or both to convert the tiny current changes in the sensor into a logic high or low signal. For fastest response, connect the logic level signal to an interrupt input on the Arduino so it has fastest possible response time.

Brian.

you may not need a laser with a good aperture on emitter with narrow lens ( e.g. 8 or 10 deg ) and detector PD. Lasers have a short life.

You could define a reflector or a thick black stripe with a Sharpie to monitor a smooth shaft, or define a photo or link to blade for optical properties.

Then define RPM or surface velocity and reflector surface arc % of circumference, number of reflectors per turn, and outputs. ( analog, digital ) with details. Then any other environmental interferences and cost budget, mfg method.

If you had well defined I/O specs, you do not need to assume parts. But 5V can do most anything.

Better choices are used in TV remote control Emitters 5mm narrow beam.
PD black lens and photoamp board. then add tach cct (simple) to car tachometer (scaled to user specs)

https://www.digikey.ca/en/products/detail/vishay-semiconductor-opto-division/VSMB294008G/5012873 many others radial leads narrow 12 deg https://www.digikey.ca/en/products/...EVLgADJPIB2Sk1YdI3PkNETwlABx65CpbgLFIZdUzHugA

So first answer all the needs and options for physical, optical issues, and assy options. Photos help alot.

Last edited:

LaTeX Commands Quick-Menu:

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back