Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Overcome voltage limits on HCT flip-flop

Status
Not open for further replies.

pozzugno

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I don't know if this is the correct forum section to post this question. Sorry if I'm wrong.

I want to use D-type flip-flop 74HCT74 as a trigger: when I open a switch, the output should change and should stay changed until a reset signal.
The switch is connected between ground and +24V through a pull-up resistor of 2700 ohm.

I don't want to increase the complexity of the clock input, because I'd like a propagation delay as low as possible.

I read on the datasheet from NXP the following note:
The input and output voltage ratings may be exceeded if the input and output current ratings are observed.
The current ratings are +/-25mA and I think I'm inside this limits with 2700 ohm and +24V.

Can I connect the connect input of 74HCT74 to a pull-up resistor to +24V without any risk to damage the IC?

Can I connect the connect input of 74HCT74 to a pull-up resistor to +24V without any risk to damage the IC?

Yes, but it won't necessarily work. Either add a zener to the input or maybe a potential divider to scale the input voltage. Which is best depends on how clean your 24V is and the tolerance of it.

Keith.

Status
Not open for further replies.