Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Oscillator using ADS need help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ericyeoh

Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Guys,

I'm facing problem in the oscillator design by using the ADS. I'm trying to design an fix frequency oscillator (colpitts) working at 90Mhz.
In in the initial stage , I set my biasing current at 10m and Vc at 5V for the transistor 2n3904. Then i try to make the amplifier to perform at unstable region which having S(1,1) >1 and S(2,2) >1 (thats the requirement for oscillator design) by selecting suitable load resistance. Pls look at attachments "S-result".

So the Z1 now is having negative resistance = -8.638 + 0.551j (normalised) . So i use thumb rule method where |R1|/3 = Rs And Xsj = - X1j.
Zs = 143.9 - 27.5j.
)
The problem i facing is when i measured at output, the oscillator was not sustain oscillating. (result on attachments)

Can anyone tell me which part i was wrong? Pls help me :cry:

Attachments

• S-result.png
    S-result.png
    7.6 KB · Views: 105
  • with ZS.png
    with ZS.png
    27.2 KB · Views: 119
  • output.png
    output.png
    11.6 KB · Views: 98
Last edited:

Assuming your circuit is set up correctly...

Oscillators are finicky beasts to get going. The transistor bias has to receive a very narrow volt/current range in order to sustain oscillations.

The bias is determined by R7 in your schematic. I suggest you try various values. The idea is to push it just barely to the threshold where it begins operating. After that, the bias is influenced by swings in voltage/current, coming from your control network.

I don't know what formula to use to predict what value will work. It will depend on what action is taking place at each leg of the transistor.

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back