Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Optoisolator issues on Current Transfer Ratio CTR

Status
Not open for further replies.

matusel

Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello boarders.

I'm analyzing a board wich uses a SHARP opto-isolator model PC357 and I have some issues with the datasheet. If you have a look at this link of datasheet:

http://sharp-world.com/products/device/lineup/data/pdf/datasheet/pc357n_e.pdf

On page 5 they show you a table in which PC357 optos are divided by rank on CTR (Ic/If) @ 5 milliamps f "If" .

Now, if you go on top-left of page 7, they show you a diagram of the CTR vs forward voltage; I can't explain how this diagram is related with the table on page 5 because there is no comment or relationship to the CTR-rank of the opto.

IMHO has not big sense add a similar diagram, seems just to give an idea of the curve trend of CTR vs If. BUT CAUSES CONFUSION.

Am I mistaken?
Do you have any suggestion on how can I obtain the theorical CTR @ 2.5mA, having a fixed rank (say for example RANK D) ?

Am I mistaken?

No, but I understand your confusion.

Fig.7 shows just a generic context between CTR and IF, valid for all ranks. It tells you that - if the CTR is 270 at IF=5mA, it will be 230 at IF=2.5mA. So you can rank down the given D rank IC limits (15 to 30mA) by this factor 230/270 .

BTW: VCE doesn't have a strong effect on CTR (as long as VCE >≈ 2V and IC ≦ 5mA, s. Fig.8), but the temperature effect (both on IF and IC, i.e. on CTR) isn't negligible (s. Fig.9).

No, but I understand your confusion.

Fig.7 shows just a generic context between CTR and IF, valid for all ranks. It tells you that - if the CTR is 270 at IF=5mA, it will be 230 at IF=2.5mA. So you can rank down the given D rank IC limits (15 to 30mA) by this factor 230/270 .

BTW: VCE doesn't have a strong effect on CTR (as long as VCE >≈ 2V and IC ≦ 5mA, s. Fig.8), but the temperature effect (both on IF and IC, i.e. on CTR) isn't negligible (s. Fig.9).

Thank you for your answer; I am aware of the temperature curve.

So, if I understand correctly, the CTR of the RANK D for example (minimum is CTR=15/5=3) should be 3 if forward current is 5 milli amps but decreases to 3*(230/270)= 2.55 if driven at 2.5 milli amps ?

So, if I understand correctly, the CTR of the RANK D for example (minimum is CTR=15/5=3) should be 3 if forward current is 5 milli amps but decreases to 3*(230/270)= 2.55 if driven at 2.5 milli amps ?

Right! 2.56 , if correctly rounded ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.