Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

OpAmp simulation using Virtuoso

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spliter

Newbie level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I tried to simulate 2 stage OpAmp example form Allan&Holdberg pg 276-278, example 6.3-1. There was used L=1u, i used 180n (that is technology I use) and kept all W/L ratios, Cc, Vdd=2.5, Vss=-2.5 etc. But when I make a test circuit (buffer, or non inverting amp) I do not get expected results. Buffer gives constantly Vdd at Out (saturation), and in non-inverting topology instead twice amplified input sine (amp=1.5V) (R1=R2=1k) i got distorted sine with x100mV amplitude.
I checked all conections, redraw schematic it bugs all the time (or I do?!). Any idea?

Scaling down an opAmp by just keeping the original W/L ratios usually doesn't work -- threshold voltages differ.
You'll have to resize the bias currents/voltages -- and the W/L ratios, presumably -- in order to shift the amp into a reasonable operating point.

you should first test your op amp as a single block.

use this config: put a very high resistor (say tens of MOHMS) between out and inverting input and a very high capacitance (say 1 mF or more) from the invering input and ground. on the non inverting input put your DC bias and AC signal.
the schematic is on Baker and also on Allen i think.

In this way, at DC you have a right operating point, and at AC you have open loop gain. Note that you should check if the MOS work properly inside the op amp.

Then, if you use a too low resistor in your feedback path, maybe the opamp cannot drive it properly, because tipically the output resistance of the opamp is not so low, without a buffer. Then, the gain falls down and the virtual short circuit fails. Check it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back