Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

opamp : open loop gain vs output differential voltage

Status
Not open for further replies.

student_of_analog

Junior Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi all,

Does anybody know hw to simulate open loop gain vs. output differential voltage for
a fully differential opamp ?
So I need to generate a Av(open loop gain) (Y-axis) Vs output differential voltage(Y axis) plot.

You "need" such a display? Why?
Please consider that the gain does not depend on the output voltage.
The other way round: You can fix the input voltage, vary the gain and plot Vout=f(Av).

LvW, its required as part of project submissions. This plot will give an idea of the range of output voltage for which open loop
gain is constant I guess.

I found this old thread,
https://www.edaboard.com/threads/89279/.

I wanted some more clarity on the setup.

If I understand right, the question refers to amplifier non-linearity. You can perform a parametric small signal analysis with superimposed DC voltage as parameter.

You didn't exctcly specify gain in your question. If you refer to DC gain, you can also make a differential input DC sweep, calculate dVout/dVin and plot it over Vout.

OK, now it is clear to me: You do not need gain vs. output voltage but gain vs. max. output voltage range (dynamic properties of the amplifier.)
But this requires that you have a definition for the max. output voltage range: What is the maximum distortion (THD in %) you will allow at the limits of this range?
In case of integrated opamps this corresponds with the "full power bandwidth".
I am afraid, it`s not possible to create such a function in one simulation run: For several different gain values you need to increase the input signal and watch the output until it reaches the max. allowable distortion (that you have specified as output limit).

You do not need gain vs. output voltage but gain vs. max. output voltage range (dynamic properties of the amplifier.)
You can think of a small signal analysis with DC output voltage level as parameter. In case of a differential amplifier with common mode voltage zero, the DC level will refer to a differential output voltage. It can be only determined in multiple analysis and not directly displayed as a XY plot in the usual SPICE variants.

thank you FvM and LvW for your response.

I have a fully differential amplifier. So should the test setup be as follows :

1)Unity gain feedback with OUTP connected to INM and OUTM connected to INP
2)DC source at INM swept from 0 to 2.5V (supply voltage is 2.5V)
DC source at INP swept from 2.5V to 0V.

Then do I take the slope of obtained o/p ( OUTP-OUTM) Vs i/p (INP-INM) ? to get the gain ?.
Then I take this dVout/dVin waveform points into excel along with o/p points into excel and plot them in excel to get the DC gain vs o/p voltage plot ?

Please correct me for any mistakes in setup.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back