Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

OpAmp design by Allen&Holberg Approach

Status
Not open for further replies.

EmbdASIC

Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Sometimes, when i design an opamp i get absurd small values for my W/L, which means 'less than 1' values. Phillip Allen address this problem as
If the value detemined for W/L is less than one, then it should be increased to a value that minimzes the product of W and L.
If the my slew rate and Compensation Cap, does not allow to alter themselves more, what can be done to pursue this particular hand calculation method ?

Why not increase the positive CMR = Vin(max) ?

Thanks for the reply.
Two comments here:
1. I determined this particular transistor's size by gm, (which i have known through gm = GBW x Cc), but offcourse one can use the Vinm(max) to deterine also.

2. However Vin (max), is a fix maximum value determined by architecture (CMR): i dont truly understand that it would be appropriate to change it to get a better result. ? Well for me changing it doesnt help either !

i think it is reasonable to have w/l less than 1...

wandola said:
i think it is reasonable to have w/l less than 1...
Sure; but then I find the statement in the Allen&Holberg book "it (the W/L ratio) should be increased to a value that minimizes the product of W and L" a bit confusing.

This is only possible, if the original L > Lmin. Only in this case it is possible to increase the W/L ratio for a W/L < 1 (up to Wmin/Lmin=1, because usually Wmin ≥ Lmin) and minimize the W*L product (i.e. the gate area or capacitance) at the same time.

Hi Jennisjose

I m living in san jose, CA too. What company are you working?

jennisjose said:
How does one get the equation of positive CMR?
I think sqrt(I5/β1) is meant (as for the negative CMR limit).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back