Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Opamp at 5V into power amp at 18V?

Status
Not open for further replies.

HankMcSpank

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
5V Opamp connecting to a higher voltage power amp?

I've a small preamplifier, which has an opamp powered at +/- 5V supply.....the output of this opamp feed into an power amplifier powered at 18V

The input pin of the power amplifier is biased at 1/2 VCC ....9V.

The output of my opamp is biased at 0V ...so I need aDC blocking cap between.

What I'm worried about is at power up, the input to the power amplifier is going to slew up quickly to 9V DC bias - will this power up voltage will feed back through the blocking cap and zap my opamp output stage?

Is there a way of protecting against this power up voltage spike?

It seems strange to me that the power amp has a dc bias in the input, it should at least have a buffer stage.
I have never seen a power amp with a biased input, you should use symmetric power supply for audio.

Alex

Put a 100 to 470 ohm 1/4W resistor in series with the DC blocking capacitor to limit the inrush current and you will be fine. I do this for 48V DC differentials and it works fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.