Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

op amp and iits unity gain

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gagan_SJSU

Junior Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi friends

I have a question to ask....if my op amp has a DC gain of 10000 and one pole at 1khz...what would be my frequency where the gain would cross unity..,also please explain me the method ..

thanks
Sunny

Hi, Gagan_SJSU.

Transfer function of one pole circuit can be depicted as G(f)=A/(1+j*f*q), where f - frequency, j - square root of -1, q - some coefficient. If f=0 (dc) then G(f)=A= 1e+4 in your circuit. -3dB frequency is when G(f) drops square root of 2 times below its dc value. That occures when
1=| j*f*q | so q=1/f = 1e-3 in your circuit. At high f 1<<| j*f*q | so G(f) ≈A/(j*f*q). If G=1 then
f*q=A, so unity gain frequency equal to A/q=1e+7=10M for your opamp

Regards.

well, I am not sure if i understand your question correctly: but I'll try to explain it in a coherent way.

Every pole in a circuit attenuates the signal 20 dB/decade. so if you have 2 poles
for ex: pole 1= 100Mhz , Pole 2= 500Mhz. Your signal starts to attenuate at 20 dB/decade at 100Mhz and once it hits 500Mhz, it starts to go down at 40 dB/decade (20dB + 20dB = 40 dB/decade)

so in your case you have only 1 pole: so once your signal hits 1Khz it starts to role down at 20 dB/decade. so if it starts at 10000 gain; lets convert your gain to dB (decible) 10000 volts gain = 20*log (10000) = 20*4 = 80dB is your gain.

so if the signal goes down 20dB/decade then It will take 4 decades (4* 20dB = 80dB) to go to Zero.
So 4 decades after 1Khz is 10000Khz = 10Mhz. so your unity gain frequency is 10Mhz. i'm kind of sleepy, but i think the math is correct. I hope it made sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.