Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

No output from Pulse Tranformer

Status
Not open for further replies.

hydromark

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Lads/Gents:

I have a pulse transformer that can't seem to get output on. It is designed for 12 volt DC input and 1000 Volt DC bi-polar output. I am attempting to drive it with 12 volts /10 AMPS DC via a 60V 30A Mosfet. The coil sits between positive rail and Drain of Mosfet.

Thanks,
Mark

Hi,

You say there is no output from pulse transformer. You say you drive it. If so, then it is defective.

If you are not sure, then provide the schematic, voltages, waveform, frequency....

Klaus

if you have multiple secondaries that are interconnected,
then, phasing could be the reason.

sarma
vu3zmv

Hi,

You say there is no output from pulse transformer. You say you drive it. If so, then it is defective.

If you are not sure, then provide the schematic, voltages, waveform, frequency....

Klaus
Maybe I am not driving it with enough current? My power supply tops out at 4.5/5 amps. I've attached a datasheet on the transformer.

Attachments

• Custom Coils - Pulse Coil Spec Sheet.pdf
    88.3 KB · Views: 128

Hi,

impossible to help without informations.

From post#2:

Klaus

Just a guess without all the information....

The diagram looks like it has a ferrite core so it is probably intended to be used at a pulse frequency of >10KHz. What frequency are you driving it with?

Even with lower primary current you should get considerable voltage across it's output.

Brian.

Just a guess without all the information....

The diagram looks like it has a ferrite core so it is probably intended to be used at a pulse frequency of >10KHz. What frequency are you driving it with?

Even with lower primary current you should get considerable voltage across it's output.

Brian.

I am driving it with a function generator via a MOSFET so I've tried all kinds of frequencies.

Mark

Well, it SHOULD be working so something mysterious is happening....

When you say you are using a function generator, what waveform are you selecting as the output? You should be using a pulse or square waveform and the amplitude should be between zero and about 10V. It would be a good idea to connect a resistor between the gate and ground (~1K) if there isn't one already as you want the gate to sit at ground potential until driven high.

Brian.

The MOSFET is switching fine as I have driven other simpler/smaller coils with this setup without a problem. I am driving it with square waves at 10V. One correction to my original post: My supply is 20V DC.

I am connecting one input of the pulse transformer input to 20V DC and the other input is connected to the drain of the MOSFET.

Even with a 20V supply it should still switch nicely with 10V of drive.

Do you know how much current it is consuming at the moment?
Do you have an oscilloscope?
Can you measure the voltage between the drain and source of the MOSFET for me please, with and without the function generator output turned on.

Brian.

So grateful for your help and input. It will be a little while before I can give more feedback and do more testing as I have burned through my latest order of MOSFETS. In about a week I will be ordering a MOSFET board from IXYS that will hopefully give me more reliability in my testing.

Status
Not open for further replies.