Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

NiMh LiIon comparison

Status
Not open for further replies.

firmy

Junior Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi
Can anybody point me to a good comaprison betweeen Lithium Ion and NiMH batteries? Which one is preferred for embedded applications that require about 5000mAH.

What is the maximum capacity we can get for these batteries.

Thanks
-F

If consider size they almost equal. I compare my a 4000mAh LiIon notebook battery and see that six AA NiMH batteries should have the same size.
But each of them has advantages and disadvantages:

For NiMH it is recommended before 1 of 10 recharging cycle to discharge the battery very deeply for preventing capacity loss because of memory effect.

LiIon has no such kind of problem. You can recharge battery any time you want.

NiMH batteries have double recharging cycles in comparison with LiIon (1000 vs 500).

LiIon batteries have limited life time (about 3 years) even if you didn't use them.

LiIon battery is more expensive than NiMH.

I have red that Ni-Cd battery has memory effect, but not NiMh. Please
can you clarify?

Varuzhan

Still have but much less than NiCd.

You can check the following link:

**broken link removed**

This is a very good sitw that explains the difference about the batteries and the charge methods, as well as other interesting stuff about the various batteries. Check it out. :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back