Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

New way to set fuses - AVRweb 0.1 alpha released

Status
Not open for further replies.

jokkebk

Junior Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I've been using the GNU toolchain for AVR programming, including the avrdude utility to flash the MCUs and set the fuses. A few months ago I started thinking if I could eliminate the command prompt from my workflow entirely, because I was mainly just running the same few commands again and again to upload .hex files and set fuses.

Windows-based, Linux-based and Mac-based GUIs for avrdude have been done almost a dozen times, so I chose a slightly different approach: A lightweight web server and a set of PHP scripts. This way, I could even attach the programmer to a headless Raspberry Pi unit and remote control it from any machine in the local network. I've just finished the first (very alpha) version of it.

The 0.1 version can already identify most 8-bit AVR chips and read their current fuse settings using avrdude, and display them for user in graphical format (toggle buttons and dropdowns, much like Engbedded AVR fuse calculator, but with the current values selected). The fuse settings can also be changed and written to the MCU. Here's a video demonstration of it:

https://youtu.be/Px-OlL4L9Os

There's still much to improve, but I'm interested in any ideas and feedback you guys might have. There's also a bit more information in my blog about it, which contains a short "planned features" list also:

https://codeandlife.com/2012/08/12/avrweb-0-1-alpha-released/

Status
Not open for further replies.