Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

New born BioPuppy Linux for Bioinformatics

Status
Not open for further replies.

asprakash

Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello all,
I gladly inform you that, our first beta version of BioPuppy Linux is out now. My motivation in this project is, want to get some contributions from bioinfo people.
I came to know that, almost they are [ I m talking about in India, No idea about in other countries ] using FOSS softwares. But they are using these tools in Windows platform. Coz they are fear about Linux, especially about commands. I am working in Embedded system field. I used this Puppy Linux for one of my embedded linux project. Its an great user friendly Linux compare with others. My idea is, want to provide an dedicated, user friendly Linux OS for them. So that atleast they will try to use the linux first. Later may be they will contribute for FOSS. BioPuppy is a community project for educational and learning purpose for bioinfo people.

Download

BioPuppy main page and download page is here, http://nrcfosshelpline.in/code/wiki/BioPuppy

About BioPuppy Linux OS

BioPuppy OS is an electronic workbench for bio-informatics and computational biology. It has been designed to meet the needs of beginners. BioPuppy is available as a live CD cum installation CD [and in USB Pen drive] and containing all the required software to boot the computer with ready to use bio-informatics tools. BioPuppy is based of the Puppy Linux. The another objective of this BioPuppy is small in size. Our estimated size of BioPuppy is ~150MB.
BioPuppy derived from Puppy-3.01-seamonkey Linux.

Biology softwares included

Sequence Analysis Tools : Sim-4, Tigr-Glimmer 2, Genewise, Muscle, Sigma,
HMMER, Clustal-W, mafft

Structure Prediction Tools : mfold, gibbs

Protein Structure Analysis Tools : Garlic, Rasmol

Phylogenetic Analysis tools : Fast DNA, Phylip, Phylodraw

Protein Modeling : Modeller,

Docking : MGL Tools ( Autodock tools, Python Molecular Viewer (PMV), Vision)

System Biology : Copasi

On-line tools : BLAST, EMBOSS

All your suggestions, feedbacks and contributions are welcome.

=======================================
-Prakash.
**broken link removed** Open Source portal
for Embedded systems learners and beginners

Glad to see Puppy Linux is growing - right now I'm posting from a laptop running Puppy :)
It would be great if someone would make a Puppy distro targeted to electronics, including out of the box gcc, programming software for microcontrollers (IDE & compilers), schematic & layout soft (Kicad, gEDA), Spice simulator and other freeware for electronics (something like Fedora El. Lab).
Puppy is very efficient and runs fast even on low spec PCs.

Hello Eugen_E. I prepared this derivative just for Bioinfo people, even i am working in Embedded system field. But I am also thinking about like you to prepare an dedicated Puppy for Embedded system which contains all the necessary tools for developing application in emb sys.
If you wish we can start this project, "EmbPuppy" or Let me know anybody interested in this project..:D

-Prakash.

asprakash said:
Hello Eugen_E. I prepared this derivative just for Bioinfo people, even i am working in Embedded system field. But I am also thinking about like you to prepare an dedicated Puppy for Embedded system which contains all the necessary tools for developing application in emb sys.
If you wish we can start this project, "EmbPuppy" or Let me know anybody interested in this project..:D

-Prakash.
Nice job. I am interested in "EmbPuppy" :)

New site http://biopuppy.org has been launched for BioPuppy Linux
For download, visit **broken link removed**

-Prakash.

BioPuppy2.0 version released!

Tremendous support from all over the world for the first version of Biopuppy, today we released second version BioPuppy Linux.

Whats new in BioPuppy 2.0::
- Updated all the existing bioinfo tools available in the biopuppy 1.0
- Added Adun, Artemis, Gromacs, R, Bioconductor, Biofox and Biobar tools
- Added Bioinfo repository in biopuppy portal. You can download any other Bioinfo tools and install
- Updated latest Linux kernel version on Puppy Linux 4.2.1
- More user's friendly, Desktop widgets and Audio/Video plaugins
- And more. Try today. visit www.biopuppy.org and try Biopuppy 2.0.

-Thanks & Regards,
Prakash a s
Coordinator,
Biopuppy Linux,
www.biopuppy.org

Status
Not open for further replies.