Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Negative power supply

Status
Not open for further replies.

electronicslearner77

Junior Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Suppose my circuit require -12v. If I have a 12v supply, is it ok that I connect the negative of the supply to the circuit? basically what is the difference between actually connecting the negative source and connecting the positive supply but interchanging the terminals.

As a general rule what you describe is correct, as long as we're talking about just one power supply, and no more.

However if you introduce a second supply (or a second ground connection), then you must think through everything you're doing, as to proper polarity, etc.

If the power supply says it is 12v, it means that the positive terminal is at 12v higher potential than the negative terminal. Everything is relative. You can connect the negative terminal to the circuit to get -12v. Remember, -12v is with respect to the node the positive terminal is connected to.

Reactions: d123

d123

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back