Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Need idea on making a web interface for controlling devices remotely

Status
Not open for further replies.

hotshot05

Junior Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I am thinking about making a device, using which I can control and monitor the state of different electrical devices connected in a room.
I want to construct a web interface for the device, so that I can monitor the present state of the devices and change the state if ecesssary.

I will be using a SIM300 based modem and GPRS to upload data to the website.

I searched a lot for a similar project but everywhere, they use a VB6 application to acquire data from the microcontroller system and then use it to upload data to the web. But I dont want to use a PC in between. I want to use only the SIM300 modem to acquire/send/recieve data from/to the net. Basically I want to reduce power consumption.

Does anyone have any idea what to use to create the web interface?
Can anyone guide me about the programming language I need to learn to create the web interface?

I want to use only the SIM300 modem to acquire/send/recieve data from/to the net.

Using only the SIM300 module without an external microcontroller or embedded processor board I do not believe is feasible. While some GPRS modules can be extensively programed, the SIM300 does not appear to be one. Without rewriting the entire firmware of the device, even then it is not clear whether there are the necessary memory storage available to hold an extensively larger application which would need to include many of its current tasks.

There is also very limited GPIO (a few pins), ADC (one channel), several and a SPI interface which may or may not be able to be configured as a master.

I have found other GPRS modules with were designed to be programmed to carry out such task, including a webserver.

Such as:

**broken link removed**

The Siemens TC65 has Embedded Java as an Open Application Platform with several 10 GPIO, I2C, 2 ADC, ARM7 with 400kB RAM and 1.7MB of flash.

I believe your idea is doable with a different GSM/GPRS Module.

Otherwise you will need at least a microcontroller to manage data acquisition and AT commands to the SIM300.

BigDog

@bigdogguru You understood me wrong. I will be using a micro controller for data acquisition and controlling the SIM300 modem.

My only requirement is that there should not be a need for any more equipment other than micro controller and modem to upload the data to a website

Status
Not open for further replies.