Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Need Help: Sensor to be used in Car Racing Project

Status
Not open for further replies.

abo0badr

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I need help Creating a small project for a friend of mine. By the Way my name is Ali and I am a fresh Graduate of a Bachelor degree in Computer Engineering.

I just need help to decide which sensors are the most precised to be used in this Car Race Project. By the way this is a real cars racing project.
I just made an image here to show how the rules and regulations of the race. or in other way, how the problem flow is.

CAR RACE PROJECT.jpg

The race will have only TWO CARS to race, I know this is a simple project for some of you; but i am not sure about what kind of sensor to use that can detect the car movement.
The race is a Time Lap Race, with only one Track for the same cars, it means that there is no over-taking from either cars, CAR1 or CAR2. The start line of CAR1 is other than the start line of CAR2, there will be a timer to detect the winner time (But don't care about it, I got this). lets say the race started, and of course they will run, when CAR1 passes through CAR2's Start line the timer will not yet stop (because it is only a half lap), same goes to CAR2 when reaches CAR1's Start line. when a Car Completes a LAP, the timer will stop there, either of the two cars, the timer will only stop when the sensor detects the car which left from its base (Start line) into the same line. I actually have the Idea how to know which car passes through, if it is CAR1 or CAR2, the problem is which sensor to be used to detect the car motion to stop the Timer from running. I had a problem in deciding sense I did not use any sensor that Can have a long range, and can sense exactly at a straight line, I already used a motion sensor but the one with an angle, maybe if I am not wrong it has a 90 Degree angle which can detect from 0 to 90 Degree, What I want is A SENSOR which can detect at a STRAIGHT Line, and can detect From a range of lets say 1 to 2 METERS. I hope some of the experts here can answer my Question. Please do help if you have an IDEA. Thank you So much.

You could have a laser pointer on one side of the track aimed at a photocell on the other side of the track. When a car goes past, the beam is broken.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back