Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

need assistance for Binary signed digit (BSD)

Status
Not open for further replies.

saikumar486

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I struck to write code in vhdl/verilog of representing binary signed digit (BSD) where 1 bar is nothing but - (negative) that value
i.e., let me go through with an example
a) 2= 0010 in binary where it can be written as by using BSD
as 011(bar)0 (4-2=2), 11(bar)1(bar)0{8-4-2=2}
similarly for 3= 0011 it can also written as
3= 0101(bar) {4-1=3}
but in vhdl or verilog how to represent -1 i.e, 1(bar) to implement this concept pls hlp me !!

The usual number system to represent signed quantities in digital computing is two's complement. It's also the method provided by standard VHDL and Verilog libraries. Other number representations have to be designed by yourself. A signed digit representation obviously requires a ternary bit type.

You should tell your motivation for dealing with signed digits.

first of all thanks very much !yes but i have to minimize power compare with booth encoding where we had negative multiplication (hard multiplies) i.e., in booth encoding technique to minimize that switching i opt this BSD but in programming how i have to use ternary bit some thing like 1(bar)=minus of that bit position as i explained ealier.!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back