Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Need a FPGA board - a little

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave_PL

Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Need a FPGA board - a little bit more expensive one

Hi,

I would like to buy an evaluation board. Im interested (so far) in implementing some audio/video processing algorithms. In the future it could be some projects connected with wireless communication.

I am considering two boards from Digilent:
- Virtex-5 OpenSPARC Evaluation Platform

- Genesys Virtex®-5 FPGA Development Kit

Ive chosen Digilent cause theyre offering academic prices which is kinda sweet imo.

To be honest I have no idea about OpenSPARC so I don't know how usefull it would be.

I would appreciate for help which board to choose (or maybe you suggest some others). The maximum price is 750$.

Regards,
Dave

Cmon people. ANY help is appreciated :)

Hi Dave_LP,
I would also go for the digilent one. The price is great and you get a HUGE fpga for a very low cost.

Don't worry about the OpenSparc, this is just what they support which means the FPGA has enough resources to handle the Sparc Soft Core integration.

Best regards,
/Farhad Abdolian

If your interested in video processing algorithms a softcore processor like openSparc, Microblaze etc etc will be a heavy performance penalty.

If you want to do video processing, stick with a dedicated ASIC processor (probably something based on the arm core) and run **broken link removed**.

If you need to work really, really fast, then implement what your after directly on the FPGA without a processor.

A nice little compromise which I'm currently working with for a robotics project is the APF27. This has a freescale i.MX27 (based on the arm core) and spartan 3A FPGA (contains 16 18bit dedicated multipliers) on a single reasonable cheap board. not to mention the FPGA is directly on the processor bus allowing 16 bit * 100MHz data flow...

The i.MX27 processor also has a whole lot of hardware multimedia codecs, check out the i.MX27 Product Summary Page

Cheers, Mike

I don't think the board you mention can be used for anyone who wants to implement audio and video algorithms inside an FPGA in a high level language. 200k gates is not even large enough to implement the MP3 codec, unless you are thinking about making a product and use the FPGA only for some general purpose IO and things like that.

We did some video compression and de-compression on V5 330, I am not sure if this could fit inside a 110 but for the price indicated, the digilent board is well worth a try.

Cheers,
/Farhad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back