Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Near field probing technique - EMI Debugging

Status
Not open for further replies.

FreshmanNewbie

Full Member level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I am reading about the near field probing using Electric field probes and Magnetic field probes.

I understand that E field probes would pickup voltage changes and the H field probes would pick up current changes. But I am not able to find when to use which probe?

Can someone tell me when to use which probe for EMI debugging? Like, If I am looking for emissions in my circuit board, for which purpose should I use which probe and when to use them?

Probes that detect one while unaffected by the other. It implies the ability to sense without direct contact.

To detect current, a sensor that responds to a magnetic flux generated by current:
* Ordinary compass
* Hall effect sensor
* Wire coil

For detecting voltage without direct contact there are modern store-bought instruments. (Not sure how they work.)

Often you can pick up ambient mains hum via a length of wire feeding an input of some high-gain device. I hold the probe of my oscilloscope and see a distorted sinewave 60 Hz.

For detecting static charge (high voltage) from a distance, see this simple inexpensive project based on an fet:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back