Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Naive question on quality factor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Noct1

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello,

I am in the very (very) beginning of my training in antennas and I have a naive question on antennas quality factor.
I always thought that quality factor Q was simply a quantification of the sharpness of the resonance peak. So, if two antennas have the same quality factor, their resonance peaks would have the same sharpness.
Yet, it appears that I was wrong.

Since the formula is Q = f/Δf, the sharpness is only defined by the bandwidth Δf. So if two antennas have their resonance frequency at 1 GHz and 2 GHz respectively, and the same resonance sharpness, then the 2 GHz antenna would have a 2 times the Q-factor of the 1 GHz antenna.

Am I right or do I miss something obvious ?

I am sorry for the naive question but I am pretty confused, because I know that researchers that use waveguides to estimate the complex permittivity of materials correlate the variation of the resonance frequency with the real part of the permittivity, and Q-factor variations with the dielectric losses. If Q variations contains frequency variations then it must be more difficult than I thought.

Thank you!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back