Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

My Grief - Can someone show me a way?

Status
Not open for further replies.

purifier

Full Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I'm doing my Third year engineering in ECE...

We have a subject called Digital IC Applications. Our lecturer couldn't complete some of the units and so i've started reading myself. But to my surprise i found out something very weird.

My university expects us to learn the IC numbers, pin configurations, logic diagrams, and internal circuitry of all decoders, encoders, multiplexers, demultiplexers, latches, flip flops, registers, PLDs, RAM, ROM and similar stuff. I have no clue on how to remember these. Can someone help me as to how to remember such a huge list :(

It doesn't make much sense for an engineering student to memorize all those details. That's what data books are for. Maybe the university didn't explain their requirements clearly.

It is worthwhile to browse the data books to get a feel for what's available. "Hey, I remember a chip that did something like that -- let's find the data sheet ..."

I don't understand either. We were prescribed the book by John F. Wakerly. It looks as if we have the whole book. The book contains not just the above things but even the VHDL code which has to be learnt along with the above things.

I was just having a glance through the previous paper(only one is available as this is a new subject). I've seen a question which is something like this:

What is TTL Logic? What is TTL Datasheet? Explain all the columns present in the datasheet?

I was just wondering how to answer the above question in an examination because the examiner's key they say contains a datasheet along with explanation.

:) I would have been happy if someone told us... The course book given to us mentions all these things clearly and the questions given in the previous papers are a proof...

I find it hard to believe that someone would ask for all that info, such as pinouts and the like.

But I think you should understand the basic things, such as what TTL circuits are, what type of connections a circuit has (a JK flip-flop, for instance) stuff like that.

As for the VHDL equations, I think you should understand how the language works and be able to describe in VHDL any component, based on your knowledge of how the part should work. For instance, if you have a D flip-flop with reset and set inputs and Q, /Q outputs, you should be able to describe its operation and from that write the VHDL code.

This is what I think is expected of you.

i am doing my ECE final year in india ..i had the same problem too..i regret for u..
i bet ur from india too...

muggin those are really worthless...but u have no other go...if u want just to pass ..u can leave out those i guess...but if u want very good grades ..u have to mug those ..
no other go...and besides there is no other reasoning to do in mugging...

but u can shortlist based on previous Question papers ...and on the words of ur prof..
usually they ask the same thing again and again....

but remember one thing...understanding concepts are important..mugging won't help u in any other way except exams....cya

good luck

Thanks a lot for lifting up my spirits.

I was just thinking that in this modern world where you can find information in a split second, why would anyone want us to mug up that much stuff... But, worrying would just bring me lower. I can't change anything except that i'll have to bring out some logic because i never by heart nor do i know... :)

don't worry just go ahead!
i also did my B.E. From India

i don't think it is that difficult
eve if those Que. are asked those wil have less weightage

Best Luck

purifier said:
Thanks a lot for lifting up my spirits.

I was just thinking that in this modern world where you can find information in a split second, why would anyone want us to mug up that much stuff... But, worrying would just bring me lower. I can't change anything except that i'll have to bring out some logic because i never by heart nor do i know... :)

Hi,
The reason to learn the basic things around the different types of logic is to make it possible for you to find the correct information. If you don't know what to look for it is very hard to find and filter all the information available. One of the most important things to learn is the limitations of the different logic families. To learn this you almost allways need to know the possibilities of the same. So reading and understanding the datasheets is one of the big sources of knowledge in this game.
In the end, if you understand the logic components, I'll bet you can answer all the questions, and you can improvise if not.

Good luck, and happy learning :D

TOK ;)

I'll take that.. Thank you once again.. I have this exam in another 4 days... I'll try to do my best...

Hi there,
Its absurd to make u learn all those things. Now a days where there are concepts of open book exams r growing up, these is abosultely rubbish.
But my frnd at some places its like that only. so just see the prev Q paper and learn the imp thngs only. So that u can get good marks. Wait for ur time to come.

bye
vivek

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back