Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[MOVED] Need a recommendation for a cheaper Distributor than Digi-Key

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pato2010

Junior Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Dear All,

Can you recommend a cheaper, trusted distributor for electronic components than digikey? (May be a Chinese or Malaysian one )
I need to purchase ICs, caps and Inductors and resistors with large quantities.

Thanks

Re: Need a recommendation for a cheaper Distributor than Digi-Key

If you buy large quantities of parts from a cheap distributor then you will probably spend a lot of time and money replacing bad parts that have failed in your product and cause a bad reputation for yourself.

I designed a fairly complicated audio product and got tens of thousands made and sold with name-brand-parts from Digikey. The products were thoroughly tested before they were sold and not one failed (except one had an IC mounted backwards). Not one was returned for repair. I made a lot of profit. My customers were happy with my product and will buy my next product.

Depending on what you're buying, you can also try Mouser and Newark. If you're buying decent quantities, try Arrow. Go to the manufacturer's website of the parts you want and see if you can check distributor inventory. Find the distributor who carries the most stock of those parts.

What about RS online? I don't know if they're cheaper than digikey, but they do operate in Egypt.

Unless you have a lot of Engineering time to qualify the performance and quality to specifications and establish a good RMA policy,

If you can accept high risk low cost parts which may be surplus, or rejects, unknown source traceability, unknown lead time or improperly sealed parts for thermal shock, which may require baking prior to soldering, you may have a lot of fun on your hands.

It is fun to buy cheap, cheep, cluck cluck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back