Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[Moved]: Book Common source problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

MahmoudHassan

Full Member level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Dear All
I am attaching problem from razavi book I thought it should be a simple common source with gain of gm (RD//ro) as the current source connected to the source of MOS is bypassed by a capacitor so it should be shorted in AC analysis. But in solution manual he didn't bypass it !!!!
I don't know why? I think he is wrong but I want to make sure

attached problem and solution
Selection_141.png

Solution
Selection_142.png
Selection_143.png
Selection_144.png
Selection_145.png

Best Regards

Re: Book Common source problem

Those four pages of hand calculations are made by You or are taken it from "solution book"?

For the first look: 2mW of total power with 1.8V supply gives ≈1mA of drain current. With reasonable DC op point of amplifier (Vout_dc=Vdd/2) it gives 900Ω for Rd. To achieve gain of 6V/V in interest band, transconductance of mosfet should be equal to 6.667 mS. For Id=1mA it results with gm/Id=6.667 and ideally fit to Vod=200mV.

One important remark here to the page 2 of solution: there is an equation that gm should be equal 100mS. In room temperature and any CMOS/FDSOI technology, it is impossible to achieve higher transconductance than 38×Id. Maybe with some very experimental technologies, uses quantum effects and providing devices with SS«60mV/dec it could be possible to get higher value but not in conventional ones.

Hello,

This solution looks strange for me:

1. C1 - even if we calculate F3dB frequency of such high pass filter we comes to ~8pF
2. How was value of Vd achieved? I don't get this Vds = (Vd-Vth)+0.2 and that's why Vd is 1.6, in my opinion Vd = Vg - Vth + 0.2, but we don't know value of Vth.
3. Tricky things with setting of Rs

Thanks a lot for your reply :)
The four pages are from the solution manual.
I was asking about the gain he used as (RD/ (1/gm + RS)) I think RS shouldn't appear in gain because it's shorted already in AC using this capacitor CB
Why it is impossible to achieve higher transconductance than 38×Id at room temp ?

Why it is impossible to achieve higher transconductance than 38×Id at room temp ?
Physics ;-)
I forgot all solid-state theory so I can give You an engineering answer.
From all types of transistors, the higher gm/Id ratio You can obtain for bipolar ones which is constant and equal to 1/nVt, where n is slope factor and Vt=kT/q is a thermal voltage. In mosfets, gm/Id=1/nVt is an asymptotic value for transistors working in weak inversion (Vgs«Vth; Id«Ispec, whatever) if we avoid any leakage.
For very ideal case with n=1, inverse of Vt in room temperature is equal to 1/25.7m = 38.91. For silicon BJT, n=1.2 so gm≈32.5×Ic.

BTW Look on the numbers from above solution. W/L=363; K=200µA/V²; Vod=1.8-0.022-0.4=1.3778V.
Has it any sense by putting it into a square law drain current which results for those numbers of 68.9mA and compare it to previously calculated 1.11mA?

Status
Not open for further replies.