Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Modulus Module Needs Assistance

Status
Not open for further replies.

zclimes

Newbie level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello all. This is my first time posting to this forum, so be gentle. I am trying to write a module in Verilog, using Xilinx ISE 13.4, that takes two eight-bit numbers and outputs the modulus of them, mod = a % b. I know the modulus can easily be found by repeatedly by taking a - b, then that result - b until the result is smaller than b, and outputting the result as the modulus. However, I can't quite transfer that thought process into Verilog. I have a few lines of code that I think represent the correct general structure of the algorithm, but it won't compile.

Here's the code:
Code:
module modulus(
input  [7:0] a, 
input  [7:0] b,
output [7:0] mod
);

mod = a;

while (mod) begin
if(mod > b) begin
	mod = mod - b;
end
end
endmodule

and here's the error that it produces:
ERROR:HDLCompilers:26 - "modulus.v" line 29 expecting 'endmodule', found 'while'

Line 29 is where the while statement is. I don't understand why it's looking for an endmodule there either. I'm relatively new to Verilog, so I could just be making a really idiotic and obvious mistake, but I can't find it. I really appreciate any help on the issue.

mod = a;
syntax error,
you can
assign mod = a;
or
1.always @(posedge clk) mod <= a;
2.always @(*) mod <= a;
but in these cases 'mod' has to be declared as reg

while (mod) begin

while can be used in always block

but in general - the code will not work, fpga is not a processor
which executes code line by line;