Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Minimum resolution required for testing an n-bit ADC?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SherlockBenedict

Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Let's say that I have bought a 10-bit ADC (say). I am trying to test that ADC using a measuring instrument which has its own ADC. What should be the minimum resolution of that ADC in that measuring instrument?
(Assume that voltage rail-rail swing is same for both ADCs )
So What is the minimum resolution required for testing an n-bit ADC?

Thanks in advance.

To be safe, I would use about 10 times the resolution of what you are measuring or 13 or 14 bits for a 10-bit part. If it's not critical then perhaps 12-bit resolution (4 times) would suffice to test 10-bits.

To be safe, I would use about 10 times the resolution of what you are measuring or 13 or 14 bits for a 10-bit part. If it's not critical then perhaps 12-bit resolution (4 times) would suffice to test 10-bits.
Why not use 11 bit or 10 bit resolution itself for 10 bit ADC having told that both have same rail-rail swing and same levels?

Why not use 11 bit or 10 bit resolution itself for 10 bit ADC having told that both have same rail-rail swing and same levels?
Because you always want the measuring instrument to be more accurate than whatever you are measuring. A 10-bit converter typically has at least ±1 bit of error so your measurement accuracy would be no better than that. 11-bit resolution would give 1/2 bit resolution of the 10-bit signal, which would be marginal but perhaps usable if you don't need to accurately characterize the 10-bit device. Remember resolution and accuracy are not the same thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.