Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Microchip's new family - PolarFire 2 details ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gini_Hinze7

Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
After some rumors on MC forums we finally have an article on EEJournal:
"Does 2+2=4? Microchip announces PolarFire 2; You Do the Math"

Unfortunately, all the guy has is bunch of guesstimates, based on some recent presentation.
Is there a presentation date set for PolarFire 2 ?
Any details that anyone would care to share early ? ;D

By turning simple math into a paradox ('Does 2+2=4?') it sounds like a buzzword for quantum computing. (It has to do with a bit being 1 and 0 at the same time, which is paradoxical but appears feasible in quantum physics.) Researchers and speculators try to develop the concept into a marketable reality. Fame and fortune await the first who succeeds.

The linked article even contains the term quantum computing. It speaks of Microchip making a claim which "strongly implies the inclusion of post-quantum cryptography."

It gives no specifics so perhaps it really is just advertising.

I did. They are mum on the matter and obviously waiting for official public presentation.

But as article says, there was apresentation taalking about tit a month ago, which was focused on hardened RISC-V core part.
I was hoping that there might be someone that attended that who might want to share the details.

Microchip bought Microsemi and they were the early adopters of the RISC-V core for FPGA. They are trying to do a lot of new stuff but they are not cleaning up or making better their tools.

Microchip Libero tools (Libero) are still patchy and buggy, they do not even have a TCL interface.
You are not not allowed to organize IP core source files in a way which makes clean organization of files for version control. For bitstream generation one must have a purchased license which is really expensive.

All these basic drawbacks makes Microchip tools unattractive for wide adoption.
So in my opinion no matter what they do in getting latest technology to their FPGAs, if the basic drawbacks are not fixed I am always least interested.

Just my 2 cents on the article.....................I read many of Steven Leibson's articles through his LinkedIn posts, but this was was not so attractive or informative.

Actually, it seems that Libero is to be replaced with something new.
I've also managed to get the link to Microchip's early presentation:
"RISC-V FutureWatch - Microchip: RISC-V based Mid-range FPGAs: Fueling The Edge Comp..."

Key takeaways:
• 2x Performance per Watt vs PolarFire1 (which already claimed 2x Performance per Watt vs Kintex-7 and Cyclone V)
• 15x TOP/s vs PolarFire1
• 2x Fabric Performance vs PolarFire1
• Still SEU Immune but now supports partial reconfiguration
• New Design Suite (alternative to Libero SoC)

More details will allegedly be released at the Microchip Mi-V Summit in the Summer.

Status
Not open for further replies.