Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Micro Based Calculator (need help)

Status
Not open for further replies.

kostispalamas

Newbie level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Greetings.

I am making a micro based calculator that uses these components:

micro phillips 89C668
7-segment decoder (74HCT4511)
4-digit common cathode 7-segment display
Inverting buffer (74HCT240)
decoder (AND & OR GATE)
keyboard

I am making this as a university task. Well, I have connected all this using the data sheets of each component but, i don't know how they really work, how my calculator will work. I cant get help from my uni so I post here!
I searched on the net but i found minimal source to help me out.
I just want to know how this things will be connected and work... I also have to make the software but how I am going to make this soft if I don't know how this components work? (i am familiar with the programming language).

What I am asking is if anyone knows any link that I can find sources about this calculator and how it works. I know that the user will press a key on the keyboard that will be connected to the micro. Then the software stored in the micro will force some logic 0's or 1's to make 7-segment light up.
(notice: i tested my 7-segment display and works fine, all digits light up).

If anyone can help me out I will truly appreciate that.

Thanks
Kostis Palamas

so nobody in this forum knows how a small project is working?!

The calculator would work by running a program in the 89C669. This is a microcontroller that is based on the 8051 core. These chips do nothing until programmed. The part must be programmed to scan the keyboard, interpret the keystrokes, perform the arithmetic, and display the results to the seven segment display.
The reason, no one has responded is that your request is too general. The specific microcode or program needed depends on the chips used and how they are hooked up. Unless someone else has built a calculator with exactly the same parts in exactly the same arrangement, the microcode you need will not be available. You would need to write it. Each different configuration is a unique set of microcode.
This may seem confusing as you can easily download new computer programs or code from the web and they work on your machine. The reason for this is that the hardware configuration of the machine is a fixed standard. Without the standard, this same unique code or program requirement would exist.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back