Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Measuring the moisture of sand

Status
Not open for further replies.

nec3

Junior Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Actually, the problem is whether sensing air humidity is the same as sensing the proportion of the water in sand.
If I penetrate a probe with a capacitive humidity sensor on the tip in sand , would I have measured humidity of sand?
Or what I am trying to do is measure volumetric water content of sand?
Any comment?

I guess not.
There is such a thing as water absorption
of aggregates. In this case the aggregates
is sand. Ask any civil engineer he/she may be
able to explain better.

I would use a simple resistance meter, the probes just pushed into the agrigate. The type I am thinking of the ones Builder use to access the dampness of walls.
Very simple to design and calibrate You can make all your experiments of range using a multimeter and then build a simple meter using your resultes.
Barrybear

I notice that people who need to lay underground pipe usually meausure the resistance of soil as a metric for determining how susceptible to corosion the soil is.

The more water contents, the more it is susceptible to corosion.

Hi, I think "volumetric water content" and "moisture" are the same things.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back