Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Measuring THD+N in audio amplifier

Status
Not open for further replies.

uoficowboy

Full Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi - I'm working on an audio amplifier circuit and would really like to measure the THD+N of it. I know Audio Precision devices are one of the standard ways of making this measurement, but can anybody suggest a method of doing so using more common equipment? Has anybody had success with using a computer's sound card to do it, perhaps?

Thank you!

You feed the input of the amplifier a sinewave at certain frequency then adjust its level so that the output of the amplifier is almost clipping. Write down the output level.
Then you use a narrow-band notch filter to remove the certain frequency from the output of the amplifier and you measure and write down the level of everything remaining which is the THD+N. Use arithmatic to find the percentage.

You feed the input of the amplifier a sinewave at certain frequency then adjust its level so that the output of the amplifier is almost clipping. Write down the output level.
Then you use a narrow-band notch filter to remove the certain frequency from the output of the amplifier and you measure and write down the level of everything remaining which is the THD+N. Use arithmatic to find the percentage.
Hi - thanks for the response! I'm using a Class D so it's tricky to just look for it to be clipping (unless you know something I don't). I had previously (when using a class AB) been using a scopes FFT function to compare the 1KHz output (as I was testing at 1KHz) with other harmonics that popped up as typically they'd be pretty sharp - but with the class D the harmonics are much more broad and I'm not so sure how to calculate the THD.

I have never played with a class-D amplifier so I don't know what happens when the output level reaches "clipping".

Status
Not open for further replies.