Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Measuring engine RPM from alternator ripple?

Status
Not open for further replies.

blapcb

Full Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
alternator current ripple

Hi guys. I understand it is possible to derive engine speed (RPM) from the AC ripple present on the DC line of the vehicle (the source is the alternator ripple). I have searched high and low but cannot find a circuit to condition this signal (which I understand to be very low) before being able to take it on the uC IO. Any help greatly appreciated. Thanks!

measuring engine rpm

I'm assuming you would first have to know the pulley sizes as the rotation of the crankshaft pulley would not translate 1:1 (for giving RPM) if it was a different diameter to the alternator pulley. That is to say that RPM would be a function of;

1) Pulley sizes (ratios)

2) Number of poles in the alternator (and hence the ripple pulse count per revolution)

This is not an easy task, far simpler to take wrap a few turns of wire around the No.1 (or ANY of them come to think of it) spark plug lead and use the transformer effect to provide a signal. Don't forget to divide your answer by TWO for a four stroke as each cycle spark means TWO revolutions (induction, compression, ignition, exhaust) and ONE for a two stroke. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.