Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Measuring average current

Status
Not open for further replies.

ElectroxX

Newbie level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I want to measure the average current through a small DC motor switched with PWM. Current is measured via a hall-sensor with voltage output.

I want a stabilized value each ms for a current regulator, meaning that the filter cant have a too big delay.

First I need an analog filter to get rid of noise and such higher than the Nyqvist frequency and I'm thinking of a simple RC filter for simplicity and flat frequency response. My idea here was to choose the RC time constant to be 1ms/5, so that a step change each ms is going through completely after around approx 1 ms. Is this a good design strategy?

Then I guess digital filtering is the way to go? Moving average? Is there some sort of digital filter that has steep filtering characteristics, yet a fast step response?

The program is to be implemented in C on an embedded system.

Personal opinions and tips about publications regarding this are very appreciated.

- - - Updated - - -

Or should I perhaps trig an interrupt at the beginning of each PWM cycle and measure the current on the battery side during the on time, and then average for each period?

Benefits I see would be elimination of high frequency components in the PWM step functions that could cause aliasing and therefore perhaps eliminate some need for analog signal pre-processing. This would also give a more true average on each PWM cycle, instead of an average thats is slowly converging over multiple periods.

According to this PDF a moving average filter has the fastest possible step-response but still good noise rejection.
https://www.analog.com/static/imported-files/tech_docs/dsp_book_Ch15.pdf

I also realized that cranking up the PWM switch frequency would keep the DC level about the same but increase the frequency of the first non-DC component.
The amplitude of the non-DC components would then be more effectively filtered by the motors L/R values as well as by an additional filter.

Tips regarding this is still very appreciated though.

EDIT: And an anlog bessel filter seems to be best anti-aliasing filter for this application, due to its fast step response and other good time domain properties.

https://www.analog.com/library/analogdialogue/archives/43-09/edch 8 filter.pdf

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back