Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

measure the volume of an object

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tinamuline

Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I would like to know how to measure the volume of an irregular object (e.g. mushroom, or spongy,or an unknown material) which naturally absorbs water. Initially I may think that we can use water displacement method by putting it into a measuring cylinder and measure how much water is displaced. However, it doesn't work because it absorbs water. Anyone who knows the answer, please give me your answer. Thank you.

Your problem is essentially determining the volume of the water the object absorbs.

Can you spray paint or some other coating onto the object to keep the water out.

You can find the water absorbed by weighing the object before and after.

while your object absorbs water it has air inside. so you have to vacuum it and bring it to a rectangular or a circular shape and calculate his volume.
You also can calculate the volume by using integrals but that is almost impossible when you are dealing with irregular shapes.

Bahomen

Tinamuline,
1) Weigh the object.
2) Put the object in the measuring cylinder, and measure the volume of liquid displaced.
3) Take the object out of the cylinder and weigh it again.
4) Calculate the volume of water that has been absorbed by dividing the weight gain by the specific gravity of water.
Total volume is the sum of the diplaced liquid volume from step 2, and the volume calculated in step 4.
I haven't given this a lot of thought, so I'm interested in feedback.
Regards,
Kral

while your object absorbs water it has air inside. so you have to vacuum it and bring it to a rectangular or a circular shape and calculate his volume.
You also can calculate the volume by using integrals but that is almost impossible when you are dealing with irregular shapes.

Bahomen

If it absorbs water, then it's probably full of tiny air cavities. Do you want to measure the volume of only the solid matter, or do you want to measure the expanded volume including the millions of air cavities?

To measure the overall volume, how about using something other than water, such as sand?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back