Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Measure resistance and capacitance with bias in low frequency

Status
Not open for further replies.

eigenroot

Junior Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I have a device which can be modeled with a resistor in parallel with a capacitor. Now I want to measure its resistance and capacitance as a function of voltage bias (from -2V to 2V) and frequency (from DC to 10kHz). Originally I was thinking of using a LCR meter such as handheld Agilent U1732C which can measure in 100Hz, 120Hz, 1kHz and 10kHz. But the problem is I am not sure how to apply a bias and measure with this equipment at the same time. On the other hand, I don't need very high precision. I think 5% precision should be okay. But more frequency points from DC to 10kHz will be helpful. So my question is:

1. How can I apply bias on the device and measure its C and R using Agilent U1732C? (or Can I do that? )

2. If 1 doesn't work, can I do it with a not-so-complicated DIY kit rather than resorting to a high-end LCR meter?

Thanks!

Problem is your meter can measure Cs and Cp but a capacitormodel is Rs of the cap in series with the reactance of that cap. This impedance can be recalculated as a resistance parallel to that cap.
If you add a real resistance in parrallel you will measure the total of the two. I fell in that trap when I got my first Impedance/ admitance bridge. Impedance is the series model Z=Rs+lX, and admitance Y=G+jB. G is Rp

This sort of measurements is the domain of network analysers but it can be done with a impedance bridge. Maybe the 3 voltmeter methode is usable.

A DC bias for most bridges is no problem. I do not know if the Agilent can handle DC. You can place your DUT between to big very high grade caps. Now you can apply a DC bias to the DUT. If you measure the DUT first, then the DC blockers and then all tree you can calculate the rest.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back