Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

maximum voltage supply for a DC motor

Status
Not open for further replies.

luck09

Newbie level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,
If I have a 12VDC motor (MAXON MOTORS - 2140.934-61.112-050 - MOTOR, 12VDC in the link below)
https://datasheet.octopart.com/2140.934-61.112-050-Maxon-Motors-datasheet-520919.pdf
What is the maximum voltage supply for this DC motor so that the motor will not be burnt? Because I don't see that value in the datasheet, can I use 15VDC for this motor?
Actually, I am trying to control this DC motor. But I don't have 12VDC power supply, just 24VDC power supple with the capability of adjusting down to about 15VDC. I connected and there is no problem, but still want to make sure.
For the motor I have, there are four outputs from the circuit, including two common GND. I think they are outputs from encoder, channel A, channel B, GND. There is no +5V for encoder because they have power from the power of DC motor. However, I still don't understand why they have two GND. Could anyone explain?
Thank you very much!

I guess what you ensure is not overdriving abs max values, especially max winding temp and speed.

If you know your phase current, just ensure power dissipation will not cause winding temp>85°C, your speed/load is not eceeding given values. Also the curve can help you for further measurements.

Cheers

the maximum limit is usually +10% for small ones .

but at any voltage , you should see that you are not exceeding the rated current
(or 1.2*rated current worst case).

the basic is to keep winding temperature within limits.

srizbf
11thmay2010

hi man
no problem you can run it in 15v but for first time you must check tempreture of frame motor
but you can found car battery easly its 12 volt
- for two line ground one for encoder and another or motor winding
because you can opoosit voltage in motor winding to opoosit motor rotation
and datasheet dont have anything about encoder\]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back