Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] maximum lines for PIC16F877A?

Status
Not open for further replies.

zes10

Newbie level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
hi. I need help.

I'm working on a project SAP-1 trying to convert the concept and applying it using microcontroller specifically PIC16F877A and I got into a huge problem. I'm currently using FlowcodeV3 and that is my only choice. I just wanna ask how much memory capacity does a PIC16877A has? and when converted to lines or C-code how many can it take? can someone give me a specific range?

The current lines that I have consumed is about 2500+, and I've looked around and asked people about it and they say it can only take 2000 lines so I have a huge problem. Is there another way to increase the memory of the PIC16F877A other than using 2 microcontrollers?

I would really appreciate your help guys. THANKS IN ADVANCE :-D

No one can say exactly how many lines of C code, or any other high level language, you can fit. 2000 might be an average (I don't know) but exactly will depend on the code. Some lines are compiled into one instruction, some into many. I've run out of code space plenty of times on PIC's.

However, if people are saying that around 2000 is the limit, then you might well have a problem with 2500. If you are writing code directly you might be able to optimise for minimal code, but probably not using flowcode.

There is no way to add extra program memory to your PIC, sorry.

Reactions: zes10

zes10

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Hi,

Have you considered changing to another chip ? in the 16F series 40 pin chips,there is the 1519 and 1939, both with double the 14K byte program memory of the 877A.

In the very similar 18F range, the 4620 has 64K bytes and virtually pin compatible to the 16F877A.

Reactions: zes10

zes10

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Thanks wp100 will try 18F4620..

Thanks wp100 will try 18F4620..

Hi,

Only tried FlowCode once and was amazed at how much memory it used for even a simple task compared to my usual Assembler coding.

Notice on the latest V5 info that the 4620 is supported , though seems there is a progam code size restriction on the Free and Home versions.
not sure how that applies to your V3 ?

Status
Not open for further replies.