Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Masters Project Proposal - suggestions needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

crazy4analog

Junior Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Masters Project Proposal

Hi,

I am about to start my Masters Project. My focus is for Power electronics, with some thorough exposure to analog design too.

I was looking at different projects online and was wondering design a buck/boost converter similar to what the companies sell, would provide both power electronics and analog design experience. Looking for your feedback. Will it be doable or i am aiming for nothing.

Also, would be helpful, if you could provide some other ideas.

Thanks

Re: Masters Project Proposal

well, i just finished a masters in power electronics related field. i can tell you that your academic adviser will say that they care not if your final project is sellable to industry.. only that it contains much acedmic merit. they would rather you explore a new finding through analytical / simulation means then to design a product to sell.

if you are interested in buck/boost converters as a baseline for your research, i would suggest you search IEEE, PESC and APEC papers with keyword for "converter" (for example) to get a flavour of what acedmics find interesting.

one thing i thought was an interesting subject was how to do prognosis health management through sensorless means. its not so difficult to do with with a motor load (i.e. run FFT on your current to determine the health of your mechanical motor).. but how to do this with a power supply where your load is maybe a lightbulb (or LED as is the future in lighting systems). yes.. that would make for an interesting research topic.

Mr.Cool

Re: Masters Project Proposal

Thanks Mr.Cool!!!

I am googling the topic suggested by you. it seems interesting.

Also I am looking into IEEE and APEC, however, I am not familiar with PESC, could you please elaborate.

Thanks again for your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back