Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

mapping an irregular shape to represent monitor screen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Elnaz

Newbie level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi everyone,

I have captured movements inside an irregular shape and need to map it on the monitor's screen to control cursor position. The input space is a 2D shape with 4 boundaries and these boundaries are not straight lines but irregular and nonlinear. The 2nd space is simply a 2D screen i.e. cursor position on the monitor screen. Maybe, I can use some kind of stretching out or stretching down function or perhaps a combination of both to cover the entire screen. I want this irregular quadrilateral to represent the monitor screen. Another difficulty is that the input space can be different each time and is not unique but I will always have the 4 corners and boundary of the input space.

I appreciate your comments on this,
Elnaz

Not too easy to get what you're describing. It sounds more complicated than zooming the original image to the maximum fit on the computer monitor.

I believe you want to pull at the 4 corners of the quadrilateral, stretching them to the 4 corners of the monitor. The shape both expands and rotates, so its 4 edges align with the 4 sides of your monitor. Is that right?

At the same time you want to generate an xy correspondency between each pixel in the original shape and a pixel on the monitor. Is that right?

You'll need to designate a 0,0 center point within the shape. Not sure if it should be (a) the crossing point of two lines connecting opposite corners, or (b) crossing point of two lines connecting midpoints of opposite sides, or (c) the point that divides the shape into 4 wedges all of equal area.

Since you're rotating the coordinate system, there may be sines and cosines involved.

Status
Not open for further replies.