Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

making home made via holes

Status
Not open for further replies.

movingbait

Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
good day

does any one know a way to make a double sided board via (conductive through hole) for a PCB.

if anyone has any tips/methods please share.

there will be smt components as well as places where the DIL foot acts as the top and bottom layer so it cant be a wire, but a "true" via or maybe a better idea could be presented.

thank-you kindly
movnigbait Ü

good idea M!k

it will work in most places

i am going to use aluminium foil + conductive silver to make a true via hole

the conductive silver will be used as superglue and i am not sure if required maybe just replace with superglue

just the conductive ink is a piece of crap, thats what u get when u have non-conductive polemer in a conductive pieces solution.

i have recently learned how to make a single sided PCB with 5mil tracks(laser transfer), the next logical step is to make a "true" double sided board.

i have a thesis due in ~6 months so i need to get it done self(~$10) or professionally(~$300).

Bungard sells small rivets for manual through-plating.

If the PCB substrate is hard (i.e. glass-epoxy) use can drill via holes of about .032" and then use solid copper wire guage of slightly less diameter. Cut a length maybe twice as thick as the board with dykes: so that, one end is pinched and flared by the dykes and will not pass thru the hole. Stick the pointed end thru the hole and grab it so that you can rest the other side thru the PCB on a hard surface (metal). Then snip the pointed end off close to the board surface (in the same way with dykes so that the cut is flared or pinched). Now with a set punch you can stake or rivet the both ends at the same time. It works! Tin both sides.

Take a look here - kits to make plated-through holes, great under some connectors, eg D-connectors where you can't get to both sides of the pin.

https://www.electricstuff.co.uk/pcbs.html

RS and Farnell both sell the kits - they work great (I must be over 100 holes with these now - perfect every time)

Cheers,
FoxyRick.

I usually just drill .030" holes and then grab some sip board stacker connectors with .025" square posts. I remove a post and insert it into the hole untill thru. then trim off excess and solder. The nice thing about this method is that its quick and reliable. It provides a nice mechanical connection to both sides of the board prior to soldering. Plus you can do all the vias before soldering and they wont fall out.
The kit with grommets are ok and do work but they can be a bit of a bitch aligning and preening then soldering and removing excess solder.
Plain wire though it works usually causes some problem when soldering. usually being hard to keep in place and you have to do them 1 at a time.

I make a hole between top and bottom,then use a wire for connect both side.

Hello!

For your info, the post you replied to was posted in 2004.

Dora.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back