Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Making an auto ranging uCurrent (switching between 0.01, 10 and 10kOhm)

markbng

Junior Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,

I want to make an auto ranging uCurrent. The measured current goes through a 10 mOhm, 10 Ohm or 10k resistor. I want to be able to switch between these measurement resistor branches with a switching N-fet or something. so all these resistors are connected with each other in 1 point and the other end goes to the drain of a N-Fet. all source connections are connected to ground. The source of the selected measurement resistor value has a high voltage to enable this resistor. But my problem is the 10k range. This measures nA (10e-9). if other branches leak nA, then I have a problem. What FET can I use that has a low capacitance and very high impedance (GOhm)? Or do you have another solution. How can I switch between the measurement resistors? I will probably change the FET in the design. First the FET and than the measurement resistor to ground. Can someone help me in this part of the design. I want to measure nA, so only a leakage of a couple of pA is exeptable. Any help is appreciated.

Kind regards,
Mark

Hi,

I want to make an auto ranging uCurrent.
What is this?
* A current source in the microAmperes range?
* Or a measurement device (meter) for currents in the microamperes range?
* Or someting else?
DC? AC? What frequency range, what waveform?

autoranging?
What range?

The measured current goes through a 10 mOhm, 10 Ohm or 10k resistor. I want to be able to switch between these measurement resistor branches with a switching N-fet or something.
If you have a circuit (solution) in mind, then show a schematic or at least a draft.

But if you are looking for a solution, then give clear requirements.
Like: Values with units, ranges, tolerance, accuracy, precision, resolution...

What FET can I use that has a low capacitance and very high impedance (GOhm)?
Why "low capacitance"? A MOSFET model (datasheets) usually comes with 3 different capacitances. Which one?
What does "low" mean? as value..

Nothing about voltages, power supply, how to be measured, how to be controlled?

Klaus

if your resolution is 1 mV and need low input offset V and low input bias current for a Howland Current Source, there are many to choose from.

Here's my list from one source Iin < =1pA Vio<=10uV in stock.

1707209278649.png

But you need high current for mohm resolution so use an emitter follower and/or a one of the above 170 items with 85mA drive capability and 0.01 pA input current. You won't need 50 MHz GBW but this certainly has come a long way from the uA741

1707209524564.png

Last edited:
Small signal relay, like the ones used in IC testers ?

You would have to do a cal cycle to manage its contact R, but leakage would be 1,000 Meg Ohms
min on many.... Many low current drive.

Regards, Dana.

LaTeX Commands Quick-Menu: